Hello! If you're searching the meaning of common wig-related terms and their meaning, this is your complete and beginner guide.
Below you can find all common wig-related terms and what they mean.
Let’s learn about the 10 most common wig-related terms and what they mean.
One | Synthetic Wig
Synthetic wigs are made from synthetic fibers, such as Kanekalon or Toyokalon. These are not human hair but synthetically made artificial fibers that look like human hair. Here are some features of synthetic wigs:
- They are made from synthetic fibers.
- Do not look as natural as human wigs.
- These wigs require less maintenance.
- They can't be re-coloured.
- Most synthetic hair wigs can't be styled using heating tools.
- In the wig market, they are the pocket-friendly option as human hair wigs are more expensive.
- If you're a beginner and just want to try wigs, this is a good option to start with before investing in an expensive human hair wig.
- You can get multiple wigs and change your style anytime you want.
Two | Human Hair Wig
Human hair wigs are made from 100% natural human hair. Manufactures source these hair from authentic donors and then they go through a rigorous process of cleaning and shaping and are formed into the most natural looking wigs. Here are some features of human hair wigs that make them the superior option:
- Human hair wigs are the most natural looking because they're actually real human hair.
- They are more versatile and can be style using heating tools.
- You can also re-colour a human hair wig.
- They are a little bit pricey as compared to synthetic alternatives but then the superior as well.
- If you maintain them well, they last longer than any synthetic wig making them a good investment in the long run.
At 1 Hair Stop, we have a range of premium quality human hair wigs. No matter your requirements, we bet you’ll find the perfect fit.
Three | Wig Cap
The wig cap is the base of the wig that sits on the head. Wig caps are made of different materials, such as nylon or mesh, and can be stretchy or adjustable to fit different head sizes. Wig caps are essential for creating a natural-looking wig and can affect the wig's comfort and longevity. For example, a breathable wig cap can make the wig more comfortable to wear, especially in hot weather conditions. A stretchy wig cap can provide a better fit, preventing the wig from slipping or moving on the head.
Four | Lace Front Wig
A lace front wig is a type of wig that has a sheer lace panel at the front of the wig cap. This panel covers the hairline and mimics the appearance of a natural hairline.
- They offer immense styling options, even allowing the hair to be pulled back or styled in a ponytail without exposing the wig's cap.
- They provide a more natural-looking hairline, making them a popular choice for those seeking a realistic appearance.
- Lace front wigs come in various types of lace, including French lace, Swiss lace, and HD lace.
- The type of lace used affects factors like the wig's price, durability, and overall aesthetic.
Five | Full Lace Wig
A full lace wig is kind of similar to the lace front alternative but even better. Instead of having the realistic lace in the front, the entire wig base is made of lace. Now this gives you some cool benefits:
- Full lace wig allows you to part your hair as you like.
- Looks natural, 100%
- They're more breathable and comfortable to wear.
- Very lightweight becasue of the lace.
- However, a little expensive as compared to lace front wigs.
- Style it however you like.
At 1 Hair Stop, we have a variety of high-quality silk front full lace wigs. Check them out on your product page.
Six | Wefted Cap
The wefted wig cap is a type of wig cap that is made by sewing together numerous layers of hair on a mesh or fabric material. This helps in creating a dense and full appearance .
- They are natural looking and cost effective.
- Variety of styles and lengths available.
- You can match your hair colour and texture for a more natural look and feel.
- You can't change the parting easily because the hair are sewed in a particular fashion.
- They're not as breathable as lace caps.
Seven | Wig Clip
A wig clip is a small accessory that you can attach to the inside of your wig cap to keep the wig securely in place. These clips are made from either plastic or metal and have multiple tiny teeth that grip onto your natural hair.
- The wig clips can be used in multiple numbers inside the wig cap to achieve the desired fit.
- You can always adjust them as per your preference.
- Simple to use.
- Provide a good grip even with hairstyles like a ponytail.
Eight | Density
Wig density refers to the amount of hair your wig has, and can greatly impact the overall look and feel of your wig. Wig density is usually measured as a percentage, with 100% density being the most natural-looking.
- 100% density means the wig has almost as much hair as a healthy head of natural hair.
- There are wigs that offer 150-180% density. They look extra voluminous and you could've seen Hollywood celebs wearing such wigs for added glamour.
- If you want a natural look, go for a little lower wig density as it will look normal when added with your natural hair.
Nine | Wig Cap Size
Wig cap size refers to the circumference of the wig cap and it determines how well your wig will fit on the head.
- It is measured in cms or inches.
- All types of sizes are available in wig caps, pick the one based on your head size.
- To ensure a good fit, it is important to get the measurements right.
- They're also available in adjustable sizes which is a good option as it will help you achieve a better fit based on your head shape and size.
- Making a selection will also depend on the type of wig you're using. If the wig has more volume, go for a wig cap that is a little tight. This way it will hold the wig properly in place,
Ten | Wig Tape
A wig tape is another wig attachment method. It is a double-sided tape, one side attaches to your wig and the other to your head.
- It is a no-mess attachment method unlike wig glues.
- Easy and convenient to use.
- It is also simple to remove.
- Select a tape depending on how long you wear your wig.
- Do a patch test and check if it is safe to use on your skin. If you notice irritation do not use it.
- Apply and remove the tape gently so that you don't hurt yourself.
These were some commonly referred to wig terms and their meanings. Hope this guide helped elevate your wig knowledge.
If you are considering investing in awig and using it everyday, it is a good idea to learn about wigs, attachment methods, maintenance and other hygiene factors first. A little knowledge will help you have a better wig wearing experience. 1 Hair Stop has a range of premium quality human hair wigs. These look extremely natural and will help you achieve the desired look. All our wigs come with usage and maintenance instructions as well.
So go on and explore the wonderful benefits of wigs.
What is the difference between a synthetic wig and a human hair wig?
A synthetic wig is made from artificial hair while a human hair wig is made from 100% real human hair. Hence, human hair wigs look and feel more natural as compared to synthetic hair wigs.
How do I choose the right wig size?
Getting the right wig size is crucial else your wig will move and might become inconvenient to wear. Wigs have a size chart just like we have for our clothes, so take the measurements of your head size using a tape and check against a size chart to figure out the correct wig size for you.
How do I apply a wig?
To attach a wig, first, prepare your natural hair by braiding it or wearing a wig cap. Next, adjust the wig straps to fit your head and use wig clips to secure the wig in place. Finally, style the wig as desired.
How often should I wash my wig?
Follow a healthy wash cycle, was your wig after 6-7 uses or when you start noticing some build up, dirt and oil. If you want your wig to look new and shiny for a long time, it is important to take good care and keep it clean.
Can I colour or dye my wig?
If you have a human hair wig, you can re-colour it. Unfortunately, synthetic hair wigs do not allow the same level of versatility.
How do I store my wig?
Do not toss your wig into a drawer, first detangle and clean it. Then place it on a wig head or a hair carrier. This will keep your wig tangle-free and safe. Store it away from moisture and direct sunlight.